- This event has passed.
FIRST NATIONS PROVINCIAL JUSTICE FORUM
April 24 - April 25
The First Nations Justice Council (FNJC) is pleased to invite one representative from each BC community, either the Chief or an approved alternate, to the First Nations Provincial Justice Forum, which will be held April 24-25, 2019 at the Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport.
The FNJC (formerly the British Columbia Aboriginal Justice Council) was formed in 2015 through resolutions made by the First Nations Summit (FNS), the Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs (UBCIC), and the British Columbia Assembly of First Nations (BCAFN). In September 2017, the BCAJC, Attorney General, and Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General signed the attached Memorandum of Understanding with the aim of jointly developing a provincial Indigenous Justice Strategy, reflecting the following key priorities:
- Reconciliation with Indigenous people;
- Decreasing the overrepresentation of Indigenous people in the justice system;
- Improving the experience of Indigenous people within the justice system;
- Addressing violence against Indigenous people, especially women and girls;
- Engagement with Indigenous communities and organizations in a respectful and culturally appropriate manner;
- Improved access to justice services by Indigenous people; and,
- Designing services that provide Indigenous people with culturally relevant, flexibleand user-focused processes.
Building from the wisdom provided in prior reports, recommendations, and recent engagements – including the tenth and eleventh Justice Summits – this First Nations Provincial Justice Forum strives to further the discussion around the crucial issue of justicereform as it pertains to Indigenous peoples in British Columbia. The FNJC is seeking to bring together First Nations leaders, First Nations organizations, practitioners, and subject matter experts with an in-depth understanding of Indigenous justice issues to discuss opportunities for transformative change. Our vision for this event is to share and gather insights directly from community for the purpose of informing the FNJC’s contributions towards the provincial Indigenous Justice Strategy development.
Deadline for registration is April 5, 2019.
A travel subsidy will be available to those attending the Forum. For more information please contact our event team at FNProvincialForum@pacegroup.com or 604-646-3558.
We sincerely look forward to your participation at the First Nations Provincial Forum and hope you can join us.