The BC Assembly of First Nations is seeking a skilled, motivated, and passionate Regional Coordinator to support First Nations locally and regionally with information-sharing, and the identification, coordination, and implementation of climate action, as well as to act as a liaison with other Regions and the AFN National Office.
Please note the application deadline of December 1, 2017 and that this contract position ends March 31, 2018.
Individuals of First Nations ancestry are preferred.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizes, coordinates and facilitates meetings, programs and dialogues, initiates and follows up on communications and reporting, and prepares documents at a regional level;
- Collects and coordinates local and regional climate change issues to transmit to national and international stages;
- Assists communities to understand and take action on climate change and other environmental action;
- Liaise with Chiefs, traditional knowledge keepers, youth, and women in the region through formal and informal means;
- Liaise with AFN’s Advisory Committee on Climate Action and the Environment (ACCAE), Joint Committee on Climate Action (JCCA), and the National Climate Change Coordinator ad any other networks that might be created as this work moves forward;
- Interfaces with regional and federal officials as needed; and
- Seek additional dollars to support other regional climate/environmental
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Post-secondary experience in environment, sciences, climate change, resource/project management, or equivalent combination of education & experience;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience preferred in a domain related to climate change/environmental research or activism, coordination, and delivery, ideally in a First Nations setting;
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills, including writing and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated project management skills, with good ability to plan, organize and set priorities;
- Effective meeting facilitation skills;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain effective networks and relationships while working as a member of a broader team(s);
- Ability to work independently & expeditiously, self-directed, including working under tight timeframes & competing priorities, in coordination with other, and willingness to travel;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, passion, judgement, tact, initiative & flexibility;
- Good computer literacy skills;
- Knowledge of First Nations political, policy and legal issues;
- Flexible schedule may include evenings and weekends; and
- Travel as required.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your proposal response as one PDF file to
firstname.lastname@example.org in the following format:
- Subject heading: BCAFN Climate Change Coordinator
- Attached file name: YYYYMMDD_pdf
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS: DECEMBER 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM PST
We want to thank everyone who applies for this position in advance. Only the successful proposal respondent will be contacted.