Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada is hosting a 1 day event and is inviting First Nations, Tribal Councils, Aboriginal organizations, community members, and the public to participate in a day of Descheneaux Engagement on Wednesday, October 12th, 2016 in Vancouver, B.C. at the Marriot Vancouver Pinnacle from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The following topics will be covered:
- Historical overview and background on Indian registration and Band membership;
- Overview of the Descheneaux decision and federal response through a two-staged approach;
- Proposed legislative amendments to eliminate known sex-based discrimination in Indian registration;
- Implications of proposed legislative amendments;
- Overview of the Exploratory Process on Indian Registration, Band Membership, and Citizen and highlights of findings/themes; and
- Overview of the proposed collaborative process on the broader issues relating to Indian registration, Band membership, and citizenship.
For more information and to register* click here: http://www.nmtcevents.com/engagementsession
*Please note that event registration must be completed by Thursday, October 6th, 2016.