To all BCAFN Members:
I have been appointed Electoral Officer for the BCAFN elections to be held at Vancouver on October 12, 2017. I write to summarize the nominations procedure and invite nominations for the BC Regional Chief, four (4) seats on the BCAFN Board of Directors and one (1) Female Youth Representative position.
The following is a summary of the applicable policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Members of the BCAFN as represented by the Chief or designate as recorded on the BCAFN Membership List may nominate candidates for the position of BC Regional Chief, the Board of Directors and the Female Youth Representative.
- A candidate for the position of Regional Chief must be nominated by the candidate’s own First Nation as well as four (4) other members of the BCAFN as represented by the Chief or designate as recorded on the BCAFN Membership List. Candidates for Regional Chief must be 19 years of age or older, and be of BC First Nations ancestry.
- A candidate for a seat on the Board of Directors must be nominated by five (5) members of the BCAFN as represented by the Chief or Chief’s designate as recorded on the BCAFN Membership List. Candidates for a seat on the Board of Directors must be 19 years of age or older, be of BC First Nations ancestry and be an elected Chief or Chief’s designate of a BCAFN member. Employees of the BCAFN are not eligible to become Directors.
- The campaign period for the Regional Chief, the Board of Directors and the Female Youth Representative shall commence on the September 11th, 2017 and shall end at midnight on October 11th, 2017.
- Nominations for the Regional Chief, the Board of Directors and the Female Youth Representative must be received by the Electoral Officer no later than midnight September 11th, 2017, and must be accompanied by:
- A completed Nomination Acceptance Form,
- A one-page profile of the nominee, and
- The nominee’s appointment of a scrutineer, if desired.
Nomination and Acceptance forms, as well as complete policies, procedures and guidelines for the election are set out in the BCAFN Governance Manual and are available by request. Please contact the BCAFN offices at 250-828-9757.
The election will take place as follows:
- All Candidates Forum: October 11, 2017 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Election Day: October 12, 2017
- 1st ballot will open at 8:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 a.m.
- Subsequent ballots, as necessary, will be announced.
- Held at: Musqueam Community Centre, 6735 Salish Drive – Vancouver, BC
Nomination forms are now available. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at:
Marcus Hadley, Electoral Officer